Cathryn Falwell

Cathryn Falwell is an author and illustrator of children’s picture books.

What are your ties to Maine or the Boothbay Peninsula?

I have lived in Maine for almost 20 years.

What is your favorite thing about writing (or illustrating) in Maine?

Several of my picture books were inspired by the inhabitants of the pond behind my house. Maine is so beautiful! It’s a wonderful place to work.

What are the most important themes in your work?

I tend to write and illustrate picture books about nature or creative children. For my last two books, I’ve combined both of these themes.

Tell us about the book(s) you will be signing at Books In Boothbay this year?

Rainbow Stew is about three children who visit their Grandpa on a rainy day. When they are discouraged about the weather, he takes them out to his garden to pick colorful veggies for making his famous Rainbow Stew.

My new book, The Nesting Quilt, is about a young girl, Maya, and her Nana who are helping to get ready for the arrival of a new baby. They love to watch the birds and look for their nests. Maya wants to make something special for the baby, and with inspiration from a little bird and the help of her loving Nana, she come up with the perfect gift just in time for the baby’s arrival.

Come meet Cathryn Fallwell and dozens of additional authors and artists at Books in Boothbay on July 11!