Ronna Lambiasi DeLoe

Author, poet and attorney Ronna Lambiasi DeLoe's latest book is Goodbye Monsters.

What are your ties to Maine?

I live in Knox County and have lived in Maine for the last eight years. Before moving to Maine, I lived in New York almost all of my life. I am a summer person who stayed. My husband and I love it here.

What's your favorite thing about writing in Maine?

I love writing in Maine because this state has the perfect atmosphere for writing. Every other person here is a writer or a writer wannabe. I love that there are excellent publishing companies which support your work and that there are many events to attend if you love writing and poetry.

What are the most important themes in your work?
The most important theme in Goodbye Monsters is soothing children about the monsters in the room. The book can work as a calming technique before a child goes to bed. Many children are afraid of monsters but after hearing the magical tale in Goodbye Monsters, they won't be so afraid. Soon they won't be afraid at all. Goodbye Monsters will help get them there.

Tell us about the books you'll be signing at Books in Boothbay this year.
I will be signing Goodbye Monsters, my second book and my first children's book. I am honored to be here this year. I wrote this book for my two children and have dedicated it to them. Both my son and daughter were afraid of the monsters in the room. I used to read it to them when they were little and they wanted to hear it every night. My daughter wanted to take the manuscript into her crib, and thankfully I didn't let her. I promised myself that when I had time I was going to try to get this book published. My children each have a copy of this book and are proud of the book even though they are now young adults.

What do you hope readers will discover in your latest book?

I hope readers will discover a new author--me! I am a poet and a children's writer. I would like people to know that if they ever need something written in verse, I can do that for them. That includes cards, books and whatever else is needed.

I prefer writing children's book in verse along with illustrations which complement the text. I also hope parents will note that the book was written by a Ronna and illustrated by a Ronna, which was what I was aiming for. I'm in a group where everyone has the name Ronna. We have members all over the world and there are 259 members at the present time. There also are other Ronnas in Maine so it's been fun finding people with my unusual name. One of the Ronnas in my group turned out to be my cousin. I had no idea I had a cousin named Ronna but my step-father, a genealogist, confirmed it. I hope to meet her soon. People can find my poetry website at www.poemsforalloccasions.com and my author page at www.ronnalambiasideloe.com.

What do you feel about the future of our local libraries?

I believe libraries will survive despite all the eBooks and reading devices out there. There is nothing like holding a book in your hands. You can't get the same satisfaction with a Kindle or Nook. For a children's book, the illustrations are flat and lifeless in an eBook. It is a much more rewarding experience to see the illustrations on a page, to hear the text and actually see it, and to experience the book in tangible form. I hope the day never comes when children don't know what it is to hold a book in their hands.

Come meet Ronna Lambiasi DeLoe and dozens of additional Maine authors at Books in Boothbay on July 11!