Steven D. Powell

Steven D. Powell is the author of Centered and Patch Scratching.

What are your ties to Maine or the Boothbay Peninsula?

I'm born and raised in Maine. I've been to twenty different countries and over thirty states, I belong here. Maine is and always will be home to me.

What is your favorite thing about writing in Maine?


Maine is filled with interesting people. Most of which can trace their roots back for generations.  Although Maine as a state continues to change, its core people hold onto their heritage and values. It's this way of life I enjoy telling stories about. 

What are the most important themes in your work?

I like my writing to include a lesson and feature people who deal with adversity.  

Tell us about the books you will be signing at Books In Boothbay this year?

Patch Scratching is my first novel.  It's an inspirational, coming of age story about a young boy who was abandoned, set on the coast of Maine.

Centered is a tale of a diverse group of people who come together to find family and friendship. All of which centers around a dog named Centered. 

What do you hope readers will discover in your latest book?

I would hope they would see the value animals can bring to ones life. Secondly, I hope they can see that life can offer much to a person with an open mind and heart. 

What do you feel about the future of our local libraries?

I think the future of libraries and books in general are dependent on children being read to, and reading on their own.  Turning the tide of raising children who only get their information from the internet needs to be addressed by all.

Come meet Steven D. Powell and many other Maine authors at Books in Boothbay on Saturday, July 11!